Saturday 16 October 2010

Customizing Night In Canada

It's Saturday night, sometime between October and April, and that usually means two things: Hockey Night In Canada is on the television and the customizing supplies are out.

Rather stereotypically, I'm a Canadian that is obssessed with hockey.  Even on nights like tonight, when my favourite team isn't playing, I still watch the games as often as I can.  I'm lucky to have an understanding roommate, who pretty much lets me watch as much hockey as I can get (which is alot.)

Customizing Night In Canada
But I rarely just sit and watch tv, I'm usually doing something while the box is on.  On Saturday nights, what I'm doing is usually customizing.  Hockey Night In Canada works as customizing time for me for a few reasons, but the main one is this: it's a three to six hour period where there's something on tv that I'm happy to watch for that long.  There's not break in the customizing action to flip around looking for something interesting.  And to be perfectly honest, a lot of the customizing process just isn't that interesting in and of itself.

Take rehairing, for example.  You've got your colours picked out, you sit down with your bait and your rehairing tool, and you go at it.  It's great to see the pony coming to life under your hand, but the process itself doesn't take much concentration or thought.

Pamplo "helping"
Rehairing, bait prep, sealing, full body repaints, sanding, are all parts of the process that are necessary to the creation of the custom, and they are all things that need to be done well if the finished product is going to have a polished look.  But they don't require the concentration needed for things like sculpting and detail painting.  So when you're doing them it helps to have something interesting to occupy your mind so that you don't get bored during the work and do a sloppy job.  Just make sure it's something that you don't mind only half watching...customizing and hockey playoff games don't mix!

Elf

No comments:

Post a Comment